Frequently Asked Questions

Click on each question to go to its corresponding answer.

When was the Broward Teachers Union founded?
The Broward Teachers Union (Local #1975) was founded in 1969.

Where is the union located?

The union maintains office and conference facilities at 6000 North University Drive in Tamarac, Florida. Tamarac is centrally located northwest of Fort Lauderdale in South Florida's Broward County. (top)

How many members belong to the union?
Presently, the union has more than 10,000 members. It is the certified bargaining agent of all education professionals, technical support professionals and education support professionals working for Broward County Public Schools as well as Charter School Professionals who work for the City of Pembroke Pines Charter School System. (top)

How do I become a member?
Click HERE to join today! (top)

What is the primary purpose of the union?
The union works to provide quality, efficient, member-focused services, with the intent of improving the economic and professional status of the county's educators. (top)

How do I get the most up-to-date information on union activities?
The front page of the union's website is constantly updated with the most current information available. All information posted on the website's front page and on BTU's Facebook Page, which can be found HERE. Members are encouraged to share their comments and responses to BTU Facebook posts. (top)

Is the BTU affiliated with any other unions?
The Broward Teachers Union is affiliated with the Florida Education Association, American Federation of Teachers, National Education Association and AFL-CIO. (top)

Where can I find updates on contract negotiations?
Following each unit's respective negotiations sessions, an update will be posted on the website. (top)

How can I get assistance for certification concerns?
Education Professionals should contact the Certification Department for the School Board of Broward County with certification questions by calling 754.321.2320. Members can also send an email to

Technical Support Professionals who require certification for their jobs should contact the Department of Talent Acquisition & Operations (Non Instructional) with questions or concerns at 754.321.1810.

The State of Florida's Certification Hotline can be reached at 1.800.445.6739. Answers to questions are provided after 72 hours. Charter School Professionals are advised to contact the State of Florida Certification Department directly.

If members experience trouble receiving an answer from the local certification office, they need to let their field representative know as soon as possible or calling the union office at 954.486.6250. (top)

What in-service opportunities are available?
In-service opportunities are voluntary. Each school has an in-service coordinator. Identify this person and contact them with any questions. An in-service calendar is available in each school and is usually located on the main bulletin board. This contains all approved in-service courses. Twenty in-service points is equivalent to one college credit. If a teacher needs a printout of their in-service points, the in-service coordinator can obtain this at the school site.

BTU's Professional Development Department offer training for inservice credit. (top)

Where can I find TDIF applications?
Teacher Directed Improvement Funds applications for Broward County Education Professionals are sent to each worksite during the school year or as funds are available. Only Education Professionals are eligible for TDIF. (top)

How do I locate my placement on the salary schedule?
To locate your salary level refer to the current contract. The payroll secretary at your school can also assist with questions about your contract. (top)

How can I get help for payroll problems?
The first person for members to contact is the person responsible for doing the payroll at each respective worksite. Part of his/her job is to contact the payroll department for information or corrections. The district's payroll department personnel will not speak to individual teachers. The contract contains language about payroll errors and over-payment. The District can only go back two years in an over-payment situation and repayment schedule should be negotiated between the teacher and the district. (top)

Who do I contact for help with insurance issues?
Each school has a designated insurance contact (teacher/secretary) that is responsible for checking over and collecting forms at open enrollment and for getting any new information from the Benefits Department to the teachers. Find out who this person is and utilize him/her.

Insurance companies have placed their representatives at the School Board Benefits office. Any questions or concerns should be directed to these people.